A guide to creating the perfect cup of coffee with an AeroPress
How to Make Coffee at Home: AeroPress
The AeroPress was invented in 1984 by Alan Adler, a renowned inventor and retired Stanford University engineering instructor in California. The AeroPress brews in just a couple of minutes which allows for lower acidity and less bitterness. The micro-filters used in this process also give you a cleaner brew with more clarity of flavor than other methods like the French press. Like the French press, the AeroPress is a convenient way to brew a quality cup of coffee on outdoor adventures (and with no glass)!
What You’ll Need
- 18 grams (or 2 level tablespoons) of Onda Origins coffee
Hot water (just shy of boiling)
- Gram scale (for best results) or the scoop that comes in your kit
- Stirring stick (included in kit)
- AeroPress Classic or AeroPress Go
Micro-filters (included in kit)
How to Brew: Classic (Upright) Method
- Rinse AeroPress with hot water, flush a filter in the cap, and screw the cap on.
- Set the chamber on a mug or vessel and add 18 grams of medium-fine ground coffee.
- Add hot water to the highest notch on the chamber, and stir back and forth about 3 times.
- Plug the plunger into the chamber to create a seal, and let it sit for about 1 minute.
- Remove the plunger and stir again, 3 times, back and forth.
- Replace the plunger and slowly press it down over the course of about 30 seconds.
- Remove the Press, add more water or milk of choice, & enjoy!
How to Brew: Inverted Method
- Rinse your AeroPress with hot water and flush a filter in the cap.
- Plug the plunger onto the chamber to create a seal, flip the Press, and add 18 grams of ground coffee to the chamber.
- Slowly add just enough hot water to cover the grounds. Let them “bloom” for 30 seconds.
- Top off the chamber with more water and stir until all the grounds are soaked.
- Screw on the filter cap, flip the AeroPress, and immediately place it on top of a mug or vessel.
- Let it sit for about 45 seconds.
- Press the plunger down over the course of about 30 seconds.
- Remove the Press, add more water or some milk, & enjoy!